Sunday 6 October 2013

Tom Lefroy Quote of the Week 33

I am so amazed that when I am to post a quote, there is something going on in my life that prompts me to look up a certain subject and - Lo and Behold - I always find something in Jane or Tom's writings that addresses that subject.
 
So, lately I have been pondering 2 subjects, namely, the study habits of my grandchildren and what Jane and/or Tom thought about their God.  I found both subjects in "The Memoir of Chief Justice Lefroy" in a letter he wrote to his wife in Chapter 4, Page 86:
 
I hope my dear namesake [his eldest son] is not forgetting his October Examination; every hour he labours now is an advance in preparing him for those duties honourable to himself and useful to the public, in which I hope to see him engaged hereafter, and I can tell him that the present exercise of his mind and the formation now of habits of close application is the way to fit him for usefulness and distinction in the future life.  May God bless you all, my darling earthly treasures, and may He make us all sensible of the value of having the Lord for our God no imaginary God, but He who has made Himself known to us in His Word and by His dear Son, all others are but idols, and as John says, so say I, "Little children, keep yourselves from idols." 1 John v. 21.
 
Now, there we have Tom's admonishment to study hard and pay attention to our Godly studies also. Oh, and there are many mentions of "God" in the Memoir which tells me a lot about Tom's own religious beliefs.  To top that off, Tom wrote about this some 200 years ago.  Will we ever learn?  Sigh.
 
Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian
 

No comments: