Sunday 2 September 2012

Tom Lefroy Quote of the Week 23



This is quite a story for a simple quote, but it pulled at my heartstrings, so I have to tell it!

I noticed our copy of the movie "A Little Princess" and decided to watch it.  It was the ending that really made a point in my own life.  Briefly, the story is about going from riches to rags and back to riches.

At the end of the movie the young girl, Sara, is speaking with her Father's friend, Mr. Carrisford, who makes her rich again.  The conversation goes thusly:

Mr. C.:  "What are you thinking, Sara?"

Sara:  "I was just thinking about your question, why Karma should have treated me so cruelly.  I believe it was to teach me a lesson."

Mr. C.:  "What lesson?"

Sara:  "There are so many poor people in the world, I took my Papa's money for granted, you see.  But I had no idea what it was like not to have any."

Mr. C.:  "It taught me a lesson, too.  That money doesn't buy happiness."

Sara:  " But it prevents people from starving, though, doesn't it?  And gives them a roof over their heads."

Mr. C.:  "Yes."

Sara:  "I remember one day, when I was particularly hungry, there was little girl outside a bun shop who was even hungrier than I was.  I wonder what became of her, what becomes of all other children who don't have enough to eat.  I wish I could help them."

------------

Next Mr. C. and Sara visit the bun shop where Sara offers to pay for any buns the Mistress gives to any hungry child who comes by.  The Mistress of the shop has taken in that hungry girl, Anne, that Sara had given buns to even though at the time Sara was poor and hungry.  Sara and Mr. C. leave the shop and


Anne says:  "Who is she, Ma'am?  I thought she was poor like me!"

Mistress:  "Poor?  That little one's never been poor.  Not even when she hadn't a penny to her name."

------------------

The movie ends with Sara saying:  "It's the magic, that's what it is.  The Magic.  Remember I told you that when things are at their blackest, the magic always comes to your rescue?  Well, it's come.  It's just like being a princess after all."

-----------------

My Point being - that no matter how bleak life may seem, it could always be worse.  Now what has that got to do with our own Tom Lefroy.  Well, I must quote him.  The quote is a letter Tom wrote to his wife from the "Memoir of Chief Justice Lefroy" on page 47 at this site:  


TO HIS WIFE.

Castle Connell,

Wednesday.

She is a striking instance how utterly inadequate what is called firmness or strength of mind is to contend with affliction. Nothing can do that but what teaches us that it is good for us that we are afflicted, and makes us see through our very heaviest trouble the merciful purpose of Him who makes us perfect by suffering, but who at the same time that He sends the rod, holds out the staff also. There is in true piety a humility of mind, a bowing down of the spirit, an acquiescence in all that comes, as coming from the source of love, which proceeds from faith to patience, from patience to resignation, and from resignation at length kindles into joy, that holy joy which is allied with peace, the joint offspring of that Holy Spirit who alone can bind up the broken heart and pour oil into those wounds which set human consolation at defiance. If, in prosperity, we prepare for trials, we shall never be taken entirely by surprise ; and this I believe is another way by which religion makes good its promises of increased comfort, even in this life.

T. L.


His language is a bit hard for me to cipher out, but I hope I get the gist of what he means because I think it is beautiful.  It puts into words my own belief.  And to think he wrote those words so long ago - over 150 years! 

Also, to put the quote in context, it is best to read at least the preceding pages from page 45.  I think I must read the Memoir in its entirety!

The moral of the story reminds me of the old saying "I cried because I had no shoes until I saw the man who had no feet."

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Pic: A Little Princess, Amazon.com

No comments: