Sunday 15 August 2010

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 121

Inspired by the meeting between Rachel and Mariana last week, this week I chose a quote about friendship. From Northanger Abbey chapter 4 when Catherine was anxiously waiting for Mr. Tilney to arrive at the Pump Room, yet his presence was nowhere to be found.


The whole being explained, many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends, through the friendship of their brothers, etc., which Catherine heard with pleasure, and answered with all the pretty expressions she could command; and, as the first proof of amity, she was soon invited to accept an arm of the eldest Miss Thorpe, and take a turn with her about the room. Catherine was delighted with this extension of her Bath acquaintance, and almost forgot Mr. Tilney while she talked to Miss Thorpe. Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.

Of course I hope we don't only need friendship when we have disappointment in love. Certainly to me, friendship is very much treasured in any situation whatsoever.

But it is true that friendship endures us. Here I translate 'love' as general love, not only between a man and a woman. Our love to life is also love... and at times, such love is also tested. At times, I also wonder where my life will lead me, and will I have enough faith that I shall be okay... that all will be okay... And at such times, in addition to my faith to myself and the Power That Be, the presence of my friends also sustains me.

To my dearest Mariana who shall read this soon: Have Faith my dearest. We all have our troubled times, and yours too shall past, with clearer sky above your head to shine upon your smiling countenance.

love always,
Icha

Pic: Felicity Jones (Catherine Morland) from Northanger Abbey 2007

2 comments:

Linda Fern said...

Dearest Icha, you said:
"...Certainly to me, friendship is very much treasured in any situation whatsoever."

How very true. I have 2 friends that have been there for me for 50 and 45 years respectively. I don't know what I would have done without them. And that is in addition to my beloved sister whom I couldn't do without. Thanks for the reminder.

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Icha said...

Linda: HUGS! BIG HUGS!!